Google+ Auto Post from WordPress
- Upload the plugin folder to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress
- Alternatively, you can install and activate the plugin through the WordPress plugin manager.
- Follow the steps below to configure the plugin.
IMPORTANT: Setup Information
Notes: Setup requires taking advantage of a loophole in Google Voice which allows you to post to Google+ via email. To start, make sure you have a Google Plus account and a Google Voice account under the same email address.
This plugin only works with a Google+ profile. It does not work with pages.
- Log in to Google Voice. Click on the Settings “Gear” icon in the upper-right corner.
- Verify you have a Google Voice phone number. If you don’t, select one.
- Click on the “Voicemail & Text” tab. Check the box next to “Forward text messages to my email.”
- Click on “Text,” and compose a message to 33669 (in the USA) or 9222222222 (in India).
- Check the associated email address. You’ll see a message from Google. Highlight and copy the “From” email address. Its format should resemble: [email protected]. This email address goes in the “Google Voice SMS Email” box.
- Log in to Google Plus to associated the Google Voice number with your account. Click on “Add Phone Number,” and request a verification code to be sent to the Google Voice phone number.
- Open Google Voice and retrieve the verification code from the “Text” section. Paste this verification code on the Google+ screen and verify the association.
- Make sure the plugin’s Settings page (Settings>Google+ Auto Post) is configured. The long email address to your Google Voice inbox goes in the “Google Voice SMS Email Address.” The email address associated with the Google Plus and Google Voice account goes in the “Associated Email” box.
Note: the plugin will not work if the set up is not complete.
Update – 9/8/2014
Google has closed the loophole this plugin used to post to Google+, so the plugin no longer works. If I find another workaround, I will update the plugin and this page.
If the “Auto Post” option is selected, all of your shared updates will be public. If you would prefer individual post circle control, uncheck the box and manually add the circle operator to the Google Plus Status Update box on the post-editing screen. For example, if you wanted to share the specific update with a circle called “Work,” add +Work to the end of the status update on the post-editing screen.
Possible Future Features
I’d like to make it easier to get through the initial setup with Google, if possible, as well as make improvements to the posting process, and add thumbnails. Presently the plugin sets the associated email address as the automatic email address for WordPress admin email notifications. This could cause issues for some custom setups, and should be addressed in a future version.